Thursday, December 17, 2009

Best Songs of 2009

The real take-away message from these posts? I missed a lot of the popular and a lot of the hip music this year. But I do have a decent idea of what I missed....Perhaps there will be a Part 2 after I hear all the music I should have heard months ago...

- Run This Town, Rihanna, Jay-Z, and Kanye West: This song makes me a little sad, because I think Kanye outraps Jay-Z, which is tragic, but it's still fantastic. I love how Rihanna's part builds so much and never quite comes down, and by the middle of the song, all I really want to do is hang out in a club with the three of them.

- Empire State of Mind, Jay-Z: Something really bothers me about Jay-Z's new rapping style (hence Kanye outrapping him), but this song almost makes me want to stay in New York next year. I may not be a real New Yorker, but close enough that this song means something to me.

- You Belong with Me and Thug Story, Taylor Swift: Okay, first of all, if you haven't seen T-Swizzle do Thug Story, watch it! I liked her already, but this made me love her. And You Belong With Me is just great. Love Taylor, kinda hate Miley.

- Paparazzi, Lady Gaga: I know everyone's obsessed with Bad Romance, but I think this song is infinitely better. It may not be danceable, but it showcases the actual talent Lady Gaga has in a way her other songs don't always.

- Two Weeks, Grizzly Bear: Even though Grizzly Bear was pretty awesome live, and I love that Jay-Z/Beyonce/Chuck Schumer went to the concert in Brooklyn, I wasn't all that impressed with this CD. All the songs sounded very similar, but I really liked this one. The building "aaaah" in the background is great.

- I Called Out Your Name, The Thermals: It was hard to pick a song off of this CD, but something about this one really grabs me. The emotions are just somehow rawer than on the rest of the songs, even if it's in the same vein.

- Wilco (the Song), Wilco: Like I said, I haven't listened to this CD all that much, and I haven't loved what I've heard. I think Wilco's lost it a bit in recent years, but I love the "Wilco will love you baby" part, and overall, I think this is their best song in a while.

- The Privateers, Andrew Bird: Realistically, I can't pick a favorite song from this CD. I think I may like this the best, but I'll get back to you on that.

- California Goths, Wavves: Okay, this one was a little made-up, but I do love this song. It manages to be melodic/make me want to dance and make me want to slam into people at the same time.

Honorable Mentions: Best I Ever Had by Drake, Use Somebody by Kings of Leon, Beautiful Nightmare (or Sweet Dreams, since apparently that's the actual title) by Beyonce, almost anything on the C5 party mix.

Dishonorable Mention: Conor Oberst and the Mystic Valley Band. Please, Conor, take off the cowboy hat, pick up a bottle of whiskey, and make real music again. I'd even settle for Cassadaga!

No comments:

Post a Comment